Saturday, November 27, 2010

My emotional support dog

Charlie's a service dog. First let me say, anyone with an emotional support dog, please dont be upset. I'm letting the cat outta of the bag for a second because, well frankly I think its kind of hysterical. Somewhere around a few weeks before Hair was leaving New York to debut around the country, I had to figure out the dilemma with what to do with Charlie. That was all put to rest when a friend in the cast told me about 'emotional support dogs', a brilliant idea some broke dude must of come up maybe 10 years ago when he very wisely suggested that service dogs aren't just for the physically challenged.  That maybe dogs can also service the 'mentally challenged'. By this i mean a system where, if you have $200 and a halfway competent dog, you can be issued a paper by an online psychologist that states your dog can travel with you anywhere on board a plane for one year. No hotels or restaurants by the way, just flying. And with your piece of paper you also receive 2 laminated ID tags and an official 'service dog' patch. sounds brilliant right? No joke, anyone with any kind of animal can do it. I said I have ADHD, which i do, but you can make up literally anything. Because normally it costs upwards of $150 to fly your pup, in 2 flights, you've already made your money back. And because its so new, these 'emotional support' people want to hold on to their status for as long as possible. So me speaking up on the matter doesnt really help the cause. Oh yes, I realize I'm also ruining this for me too. Who knows how long this law will hold up before enough people come and ask for letters from their psychologists? Again, I'm sorry.


So when it came time for me to fly to Seattle, it was still my first time and of course I had doubts. Maybe they wouldnt let Charlie fly, maybe the paper wasnt enough, who knows. I ended up trashing his foldable crate and walked on-board. I board first because special needs passengers board first. Then the stewardess comes up and asks the man next to us if he'd 'mind moving to give the dog more space'. What? Is this really happening? More space? Where AM i? the man didnt even think twice and jumped up to find a new seat. then without even asking the stewardess brings Charlie a white porcelain bowl of water and sets it on his tray. So here I am, Charlie lapping from his bowl on the window seat, gazing out @ the Bitteroots of Montana from 2700 feet up.

No comments:

Post a Comment