Thursday, November 25, 2010

Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade

Nicks best baked Chocolate Tart w/ lemon vanilla shortbread crust
who, me?

I woke up this morning listening to David Bowie's Starman and dancing with Charlie and thinking about mama Jan and how this was her favorite holiday. As a Belton it was ritual to wake up as early as possible Thanksgiving morning and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. By the looks of Matt Lauer or Willard Scott [remember him?] its was inevitably 40 degrees and most likely raining. I remember sitting there with my plate of fruit and coffee cake in my warm house feeling this deep sympathy for the Rockettes putting on a smile in their tights but really freezing their asses off in 40 degrees. And that's the best part. I think why the parade offers so much nostalgia and joy is because it was and could never be glossed over to a Hollywood sheen. It was just a messy ass parade with this mashup of the same black and latina girls from Sesame Street, the tired ass looking Broadway shows trying to look awake at 7 am, the new hot thing trying to make up for the fact that their on a big cartoon apple surrounded by 50 middle aged dancing statue of liberties. Lets just face it, its a big mess and I love it! I'm preparing a baked chocolate tart with a lemon shortbread crust and spice cream for my friend Emma and her family. Spice cream is basically homemade whip cream with a load a fresh nutmeg thrown in and then partially frozen. So when the warm bread-puddingy tart comes out of the oven, I'll scoop a nice quenelle of the spice cream and top with a mint sprig. a Quenelle (ka-nelle) is the french term for a football shaped scoop that you work into a shape with two soup sized spoons. Thats all. Bon-appetite

No comments:

Post a Comment