Wednesday, November 3, 2010

routine

Something about me. The idea of any kind of set routine terrifies me. It just does. Who knows-it could my Sagittarian roots. Many a Sag's dont like to be told what to do. Or maybe its  the fact that for 8 years since graduating college I haven't been been confined to any routine whatsoever, short of taxes and sleeping. I lied. there was a stint of time for about 7 months from March-Sept 07 when I decided, after grueling out 'Wicked' in Chicago I was done acting (which of course turned out to be bullshit). so I decided I wanted to cook. And I mean find the equivalant of the best culinary school education but the real McCoy shit, in a restaurant. So after talking with enough professional chefs, I knew slaving away at a top NY restaurant for $450/week would be my calling. question was, which one? I didn't give it much thought other than ties to my favorite chef Jamie Oliver and this whole rise of British cuisine which basically meant a throwing away of fish and chips and re-examining the UK countryside with a bit of some Mediteranean and East Indian. this menu would include things like pigs ear with lemon caper dressing or a rack of lamb with mint oil and aubergines or banoffee Pie or smoked Haddock Chowder in the wintertime or some good swish chard slowly cooked in garlic and cream. this was heaven to me. And the only direction was obvious. The Spotted Pig in the West Village. So I made sure I'd come in between shifts, as this place was undoubtedly busy 24/7, and bear all to whoever would listen or feel pity. I introduce myself to Josh, who would soon be my lead into the culinary world. I told him I'd never had experience in a kitchen but LOVE to cook. and I love this type of gastropub cuisine and I'll do whatever it takes and I'll do it for free. fuck it, I just want to work here.' He looked at me up and down, stared at his blackberry and it went something like 'Alright, next Monday bring your knives, clogs, and something to cover you're head' and he extended his hand and that face that read 'we're the shit, and I admire your enthusiasm and that's why you're hired'. And that was that.
The Spotted Pig



Fast forward a few more years and here I am at the start of a new road with my eight year old boxer Charlie, Hair, a journey across America, and food, all American food in whatever form I can find. The only routine, and I'm still getting used to this typing regularly thing, is this blog. And in my third post, Ive found already like 'The Spotted Pig', that the daily pleasures sometimes come in the most unforseen packages. I'm starting to like this:)

No comments:

Post a Comment