Sunday, November 21, 2010

Eastern Market


courtesy of Zachary Sasim
Yesterday I went to the Eastern Market with Tatyana. Her boyfriend Zak Sasim sells his art there which if you were to describe his work in a nutshell, is cool mashup of Van Gogh/French impressionism meets DC. When anyone tells me they're an artist, I always cringe because I think about the moment of looking at it for the first time and being unimpressed, which is hard to pretend. When I stopped by his booth, though I took a breath and was definitely happy that I didn't have to fake smile because I'm a bad bullshitter. It was good stuff! If I wasnt traveling so light, I'd have definitely bought something. A little on the Eastern Market. its the oldest farmers market around DC founded in 1873, as a slave auction actually, and instead of slaves, serves locals fresh meats, cheeses, pastries, any local produce that's in season, its great. Tatyana will sub in for Zak sometimes so she knows the other vendors. she took me around and introduced me to Kass who turns old classic paperback books into wallets or hard covers into purses. Or Stanley, their Russian artist friend and functional alcoholic. In all it was a great way to spend a fall Saturday morning before a day stuck indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment