Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kale and 99 Luftballoons

I feel a bit assy. I'm right on the verge of either getting a full on flu or becoming superman. I can feel the echinacea and the kale having a meeting with my immune system right now. I bought a huge bag of Kale about a week ago and, it couldn't have been a better remedy and a nice midday snack (yes, you can buy in bags now-much more inexpensive than the whole fresh kale, its already cut, and it keeps longer). Heat up your high sided pan. Mince a few cloves of garlic and after a minute once its good and hot, toss in the garlic with a few good glugs of olive oil and a couple pinches of red pepper flakes. give the pan a little swirl around and right when the garlic starts to brown, take a total of about 5 good handfulls of kale and each time you add a new handful make sure the last is covered in the oil so it can begin to wake up and do its thing. your also making more room as it shrinks once it begins wilting. once its all in there, toss in about a cup of chicken stock and let it soak up. it wont take more than a minute. once its hot and begging for more, add 2-3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and tuck in!
the Hair cast and I did a Be-In at the Warehouse Theatre downtown DC last night.


Allie G, myself, and Caren 'Ma' Tacket
Hair cast at the Warehouse Theatre
My friend and future fellow concert goer Allie Guinn (we saw the Carolina Chocolate Drops together before we left nyc) plays a mean autoharp and she did Nena's '99 Luftballoons' in German-the highlight of the night in my opinion. The event raised money for an amazing organization called Broadway Impact started by fellow Hair-goer Gavin Creel to raise money supporting marriage equality, a topic that seriously makes me wonder if its not 2010 but 1950. Are we still having this conversation?

No comments:

Post a Comment