Sunday, December 12, 2010

Seattle


Tanesha, me, Larkin, and Laura


I have to confess. Seattle was spent indoors for the most part and for that reason I didn't get to explore nearly as much as I planned. Rain. every day. The day after we arrived though the sun came out and I got to sing the title song of 'Hair' with my tribe mate Larkin Bogan, the Sea Gals, and a flash mob of 150 people at the Seahawks/Chiefs game in front of 70,000 newly pissed off and cold fans. Because the Seahawks and the Chiefs were both 6-6, the game was pretty important. Whoever was to win was to be the new NFC west leader. And this late in the season, it was a crucial win. Seahawks had a few glimmers of hope. When I was in the end zone waiting to sing, I almost got crushed by one of those glimmers, Ben Obomanu, as he dove for a catch and missed it, nearly pummeling me and the guy with the big camera. But in the end, the Hawks got served and the rain continued.



That evening a few of us ventured to the Zig Zag Cafe behind Pikes Place Market, a hidden cocktail speakeasy that has garnered some national attention so we had to check it out. Now at first glance, the low lit ceiling and the bartender straight out of the Great Gatsby, with his hair slicked back and sleeves rolled up, the vibe was tempting and I wanted a good drink. How could i not? By its reputation and the looks of the buoyant bar-goers, when you order a drink from THIS guy, you get a DRINK. I mean where you taste each flavor individually. I ordered the Champs Elysees,  brandy with chartreuse, lemon, and bitters. It was thick. Syrupy and thick and my first instinct was to spit it out. But I couldnt judge this place on 1 drink alone so I meander around to the others and sample their cocktails. More syrupy drinks. They were fine with their drinks. Maybe they werent expecting perfection and so their drinks would do. Or maybe the bartender was filling in and just wasn't on point.

*For good local organic breakfast grub check out the Portage Bay Cafe. For the best local beer and fries, check out Elysian Brewery, both highly recommended by my cousin Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment