Thursday, April 7, 2011

America's Test Kitchen

Just as I was hitting this this peek over my geeky obsession with Cook's Illustrated Magazine, no sooner had I discovered it would show up again in the form of an old high school mate Sunjay who now lives in Boston. Sunjay and his new fiancee Kavita, a PHD student at Boston College, came to the show early last week and we had a chuckle at the bar afterward about the funny debate following Sunjays post on facebook-'excited to go see Nick Belton and friends at Hair' he writes. then 1 comment later Sunjays cousin Archana adds...


'I saw it here at the Kennedy Center. Did not like...I got the flower power and make love not war within 10 minutes...it went too long....the nude scenes scared me a bit:-)' Kavita then commented after seeing the show the night after something quite the opposite..At least from my opinion, basically saying without words that maybe she shouldv'e waited on her critique until we saw it too knock his boys show:) 


And thats cool. I get it. Obviously not everyones a fan. Of course, with 'Hair' I'd seriously prefer if when people don't like the show, they dont like it because they have opposing political views and they walk out of the the theatre. at least then I know I did my job. It IS a 2 hour protest after all and any strong reaction is a good reaction in my opinion. I'd much prefer that instead of boredom with the same message and scary nudity. But that's me. 


So Sunjay works for this company Groupon.  I realized even him breaking down a simple business like this, my brain sorta understands the concept but has trouble breaking down the science. Heres how Groupon works. If enough people sign up for a particular deal on something then the deal becomes available for all...everyone gets the discount. For example, a $90 ticket to Hair could be purchased by the consumer for $45 and then Groupon and the retailer would split the other $45. We had beers across the Street and I told him I got big into cooking recently and started this blog. He lit up like he had an idea-a networking idea. And he did! He did some Groupon business with America's Test Kitchen's social media manager Steph Yiu and said he'd pass on my info to her and that maybe she'd give me a tour around the ATK digs. She emailed me the next day and we set the date. I met Steph at their their headquarters in Brookline Village, a short subway ride away..After meeting Steph, when I walk in and look around at this business savy, eco-friendly group of nerds, kinda like Jeff Smith from the Frugal Gourmet meets Alton Brown. Remember Frugal Gourmet on PBS?...the same type of people youd most likely expect working for Christopher Kimball, the editor and foodnerdie, who also plays a crazy electric guitar apparently. I was in culinary bliss when I reached the top of the stairs into the culinary library, the largest in the world. Exactly what you'd expect if your anything like me and geeking out over a culinary utopia like this. Also a lot smaller and less lavish than I'd expected. 


the library


Chef Dan Souza working on salted potatoes




One of the chefs was working on a fondue taste test,  a typical test here where they narrow a massive recipe search down to 5 recipes, test each one varying each version according to different tastes, textures, etc and then the chef gives the analysis after we're all through. Turns out the Joy of Cooking was my favorite. It had a nice thorough creamyness and subtle wine and nutmeg hints. On my way out I joined Steph for lunch at Cutty's across the street where one of the ATK grads set up shop. A classic cold cut sandwich joint that Steph swears serves up the best roast beef sarnie. So I got the roast beef and a hand squeezed limeade-perfectly pucker and sweet. and the sarnie-a healthy pile of shaved roast beef with a horseradishy 1000 Island, crispy shallots and cheddar on a grilled brioche bun. The flavor and textures were spot on although I wished the roast beef was hot and the shallots a little more crispy. It was a safe 'speckie' and not the best but definitely up there. Still the best roast beef I've had was after a day of hiking in Mount Shasta CA at the unassuming Billy Goats Tavern but thats another adventure I'm going to revisit. 


the speckie at Cutty's
As I left Steph, who I could tell by now was curious about this 'rockstar' lifestyle I was living on the road, a wave of contentment swept over me and all I wanted to do was quite the show and work in the kitchen. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow man,
    I would chalk that day up to being the best of both worlds. Fuel for the memory bank!

    ReplyDelete