Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sedona AZ the Vortex








I couldn't leave Tempe without going to Sedona. I'd heard too much about it. Its only 2 hours north of Tempe; a stop-off from HWY 17 on the way to the Grand Canyon. I can say, having been to both, Sedona, way smaller in size, most definitely trumps the Canyon. No tourists, the perfect ratio of woods to desert and the vortex. I'll get to that in a sec. My cast mate Jen Sese and Charlie and I made a trip out to Sedona. With the help of a guide in town, this small, leathery, new age woman with 1 lazy eye, who worked at this coffee/gift shop in town, directed us toward the Brins Mesa trail...a not too strenuous walk through a red sand trail, Juniper and Pine trees, and the most KILLER views of Sedona. Almost like a scene straight out of the Lone Ranger except no cowboys or Indians..just us and the open trail and the most picturesque mesas and canyons and energy. By the end of the 2 hours I felt refreshed. Like what baptism to older reformed folks feels like maybe...or the point when you almost die and come back to life. I wouldnt know either except I had a few brushes with death but thats another story. Either way I'm sure this kind of feeling compares. Late in the hike, close to the time we were supposed to leave, out of nowhere Jen and I just start running. Fast. Because, even in my jean shorts and street shoes how could I pass up this kind of back-country trail run. We also ended up a little further down the trail than we thought and were definitely flirting with not making it back to the theatre in time. Come to find out from Josh, It wasn't either of these. we made it back on time-barely. without a snakebite, as the trail was definitely narrow and at any moment my open legs could've been the victim of a nasty snake bite. I told Josh Lamon we went to Sedona and he said 'oh the vortex! 'vortex?' I ask. 'You don't know? There's a reason why its the new age, spiritual capital of the west. Its a Vortex of energy where, scientifically, all points from space direct there energies toward the ground here and move upward like a small tornado off the ground. There's a reason why people come from all over the WORLD to get healed..cancer patients, mental disabilities. So it made sense why I felt this deep spiritual connection. It wasnt the fear of snakes, or the running or the heightened sense of having to be somewhere on time...nothing I think but the universe communing. Heaven.




Before the trip into town to pick up some grub for the trail, we'd heard rumors from my leathery cafe friend about this little sandwich spot called 'Sedona Memories' where all the locals go. Yes that's really what its called. But don't let the name fool you. No Hallmark cards here. This is straight up good deli grubbin and can rival NYC without a doubt. They make their own bread-5 different kinds and I ordered the tuna salad [with cashews inside] which stood about 5 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment