Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winter Lala land

I got that feeling in my head right when I landed in L.A. of things you associate with places-almost like object identification. In-and-Out Burger, skaters, restaurants with the new catchy idea. As Biggie says, 'Back to Cali'. I get to see brother Patrick and wife Trina and their 3 month old minnow, Ella. Hopefully we can fit in a few family dinners at their house, one with the cast. but I realized I forgot. NOW their schedules revolve around Ella! None of this hanging out after 10 shit. No. It's inside, pumping, burping, lights out. Which is also part of the reason I decided instead of staying with the rest of the cast downtown or with papa Patrick I decided to go Venice beach style, in a cool little pastel and wooded bungalow just 1 block from the beach. I'm staying with Lee from the cast and Julian, Hairs head wardrobe assistant, maybe the best dressed Colombian you'll ever meet. probably the only guy, other than Lee actually, who can also pull off sporting Vintage world war 1 sunglasses [with visors on the side] without a question.



Last night Pat asked if I was hungry and YES I was. 'A-Frame', it's called. The owner, this guy 'Papi' Chulo, had a been garnering good buzz and a big following for his taco truck here in LA and now had opened this new restaurant. If you look close enough at the shape of the place, you'll realize it used to be an IHOP..hence 'A Frame'.   But now it was stripped down to bare wood. and with it are some cool overhead lighting, orange and brown sturdy IKEA tables. The idea-a southern Cali picnic. You're encouraged to eat with your hands, talk to your neighbors picnic style. With dishes like roasted beer chicken, Nori spiced kettle corn [with cornpops cereal], diced kimchee, Coconut clam chowder [like Tom Kah]. Plates you share and pass and chat. even though, if your neighbors were like ours, youd rather pretend they weren't there to be honest. Trina brought Ella too. She told me the social restaurant noise against Ella's ears was actually good. Luckily we didn't have any insane or loud neighbors. The actual food was all right. On one hand I love LA that people actually are interesting and creative enough for coming up with something like this. On the other, In trying to recreate something as simple and wonderful as picnicing with others, eating with your hands, etc, somewhere in your creation you miss the focus of what your really trying to do. And the focus i think is good, honest food. If you can have the other stuff, great! But maybe its more of an ease off and let US discover it thing. Even our waiter looked a little too excited and talked a mile a minute. It couldv'e been my post flight crabiness for all I know...but I'll trust my gut on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment