Monday, January 10, 2011

Charlies brush with death

Me and Nyah
Joan of Arc 'aka' Lucy

Charlie almost had his right ass cheek handed to him on a platter by Earthquake the race horse. [More on that in a sec]. 15 minutes outside of Portland's city limits my brother Tim, his wife Sandi, Lucy & I drove out to the countryside to visit Casey, my sister in law, and her 3 month old [my niece] Nyah and 4 year old [nephew] Ryder. They live in Portola CA but are in town visiting Casey's dad and stepmom.  Mostly because I'm rarely able to visit, I couldn't pass up the pleasure of seeing the blue eyed siblings before I hightailed it to LA. The soundtrack to the week [and the drive to the country] was Arcade Fires 'Sprawl II'. Every time we get in the car and on the road, Tim'll turn up the radio and tune it to CD and all we hear is the 80's organ swell straight into Regine Chassagne's  voice...'This is Lucy's favorite' Tim says now for the 5th time since I've seen him now, like a judge just stating the facts. and not only Lucys favorite. I think, at least for the time being, it was mine and Tim's current favorite too.

Tim, Ryder, and Dayton


We pull in to the farm and Charlie jumps out and runs around in the same 'I'm meant to be here' energy he had in Sedona but a little more disoriented. I turn my head and see him already down by the 2 horse corrals, testing out what these massive creatures were made of. He knew the fence was obviosuly the dividing line and it was up to his balls whether he was gonna sneak under the electrical wire or not. Later, while everyone was in the barn, Tim and I see Charlie back at the same spot, again- face to face with Earthquake the race horse. now REALLY itching to go in, like it was his duty, Charlie BOLTS under the fence and Earthquake takes off toward charlies heels kicking inches from Charlies butt. Charlie is running for life fully knowing he's about 3 seconds from being Chinese food, he runs under the fence with his back hair raised looking like he was wondering for a second if he was still in one piece. I kissed Ryder and Nyah and Casey goodbye and we sped downtown. I was most definitely flirting with making it back to the theatre by 1/2 hour. And when I arrived [on time thank you], I couldnt believe I was in the mountains 15 minutes ago.

Earthquake: "Don't be an idiot"

Charlie: "What planet are YOU from?"

Earhquake to White Lightening: "Should I just scare him or turn him into Chinese?"

Charlie: "Geronimo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment