Thursday, March 24, 2011

Girl and the Goat

I never really got into 'Top Chef' but this Chef Stephanie Izard who was on it during season 4 -think dark brown curly headed, flirty- opened a new spot in Chicagos west loop called 'Girl and the Goat'.   And there's too much buzz around not to at least come take a peak. So I stopped by on the friday evening before our last show here. I ordered the sunchoke soup w/ grapefruit and warm olives. It was fantasticly flavorful but a little too small and too done up. If you haven't had sunchoke's, theyre like this perfect little treat-also called jerusalem artichokes. At the Spotted Pig, we'd sautee them in olive oil till browned, lightly season and let roast in the oven for and hour. When you bite into it, its almost a perfectly soft but firm banana textured root thats just a bit sweet and salted from the browning. We'd tear it up warm and toss into a salad of escarole [my new fav leafy veg) goat cheese and hazelnuts. 


The large painting you see coming into 'the goat'




I also tried the roasted lamb shank w/ grapes and a curry oil and the homemade corny goat bread with whipped goat cheese and corn relish. Taste wise, all great combinations. the menu like a meat candy shop. http://www.girlandthegoat.com/press.html Though a bit like aggressive almost competition type food, small and flashy, the taste was there. I just wanted more of it. 


the past 2 weeks in Chicago made me realize how much I missed it. These 2 weeks were solely devoted to Charlie's surgury.  Right before Hair left nyc in Sept, for my last vet visit before leaving town, Riverside Vet suggested for Charlie a teeth cleaning, 3 molar removed, and gum repair and that he have surgery to remove a hernia in his rectum and also castrated [his balls could lead to cancer]. What is he doing with balls at [almost] 9? During my 3 years in Chicago I wanted to try pimping Charlie out as a stud for female boxers-if at least to see how I'd do:) I pimped him out only once from an online sight (with 'Precious' from the South Side). They told me Charlie had 0 success sticking it in so no babys came of it. They COULDve been been lying..as they were packed and headed to Mexico and its very possible that little Charlitos are running around el barrio right now. Dropping him off was a scary experience...where I left Charlie for the weekend...in the dingy basement of the Rodriguezs' who only spoke Spanish. I speak a little. The translator helped....For the 10 minutes I stayed, Charlies desperately trying to hold Precious down and convince her that they should screw. She was fighting back and wasnt having him at all him and I had to leave. Too embarrasing:) Anyway I realized I never wanted to go through that experience again so Charlie that was your only chance bud. 




As a rule of thumb most dogs today are castrated right around birth. An un-neutered dog risks a shit ton of health problems when their older, including cancer so its just a good idea. I waited too long and because I didn't neuter him immediately, some lower intestines moved into his left butt cheek. So they opened it up and pushed it back in his stomach. The balls, one larger than the other-which isn't good, weren't necessarily related to the hernia but could've caused a number of problems so they were cut off too. he also had 3 molars removed and some gum tissue cut out…all in a matter of a few hours! :) imagine waking up feeling the pain in your mouth and you look down and your balls are gone!! Oh and the drying stiches on your butt making you limp and pee on yourself.  Dr Frank Butts and his brother David Butts [The Butt Brothers-how fitting right?] run a clinic in Dowagiac MI that I found through my moms girlfriend Iris.  And they have a nice rep around these parts. Some coming as far as Chicago. Known for cheap prices and good work. MY Riverside vet in nyc suggested I have all 3 surgurys for  $3200 for the whole thing. for the same operations at the Dowagiac animal hospital the Butt brothers quoted me $500 for the same thing. Quite a difference! In NY people will pay these prices. but in southwest MI, there'd be shelters of stray animals if these were the prices. And it makes you think about the real cost of Vet work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment